As a part of Burn Awareness Week, Chief Scott Fournier and Berkley Fire Rescue would like to remind residents of safety tips and precautions in hopes of preventing burn-related injuries. Burn Awareness Week, organized by the American Burn Association (ABA), began this year on Sunday, Feb. 7, and ends on Saturday, Feb. 13. This annual campaign serves as an opportunity for fire educators to share common burn awareness and prevention messages to their communities. The ABA estimates that each year, approximately 400,000 people receive medical care for the treatment of burn injuries in the U.S. The theme of the 2021 Burn Awareness Week is “Electrical Safety from Amps to Zap (A to Z)!” in an effort to remind people of the potential risks from unprotected outlets, improperly used extension cords, and other electrical hazards. electrical safety tips “There are a number of important tips that we want residents to remember this Burn Awareness Week,” Chief Fournier said. “Overall, residents should be wary of using too many extension cords or plugging numerous appliances into a single power strip, as they could overheat and potentially cause harm.” Berkley Fire Rescue wishes to share the following electrical safety tips provided by the ABA: Major appliances should only be plugged directly into a wall outlet. Do not use extension cords or power strips. Only one heat-producing appliance should be plugged into an outlet at a time. Before use, always check cords for cracks or frayed sockets, loose or bare wire, and loose connections. Never use electrical cords that are broken or frayed. Extension cords should be rated for extended use. Never use an indoor extension cord outdoors. Never have plugged extension cords running underneath rugs. Never plug a generator directly into a household outlet. Hire a qualified electrician to install a transfer switch for emergency generator use. Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning systems should be inspected annually by a qualified service professional to check for any electrical problems. To prevent shock, keep electrical devices and outlets away from water. Never pull an item from an electrical outlet by the cord, instead pull from the base. If one sees a downed power line, stay back at least 20 feet and call 911. Circuit breakers that are frequently tripped are a sign that the circuit can’t handle the demand for power. If this occurs, move appliances to other circuits or have an electrician check the household system. If one notices unusually warm switches or outlets, stop using the switches and call an electrician to check the wiring. Stop, drop and roll if a person or their clothing are on fire. In the event of an emergency, always call 911.