Just after midnight on Thanksgiving morning, a fire broke out in an occupied apartment building in the 1300 Block of Glenwood Street in Woodland. The fire started when an appliance was accidentally left on and overheated, causing a fire that spread to the cabinets below. Fire crews were notified of the fire by an automatic fire alarm tied to the fire sprinkler system. A single fire sprinkler, ensuring minimal damage and no injuries or loss of life, quickly and automatically controlled the fire. This fire sprinkler kept the two occupants of the apartment where the fire occurred safe, along with all of their neighbors in other units throughout the building. There was very minor fire damage to a cabinet along with some minimal water damage that was limited to the first floor. fire sprinklers systems Fire sprinklers offer the most effective way to protect structures and people from building fires Division Chief Mike Jackson of Clark-Cowlitz Fire Rescue said, “This situation would have been much worse had the building not been protected with fire sprinklers. There likely would have been significantly more damage along with a greater risk of injury to the building occupants.” Jackson further stated that, “We are also reminded in times like this of how thankful we are for our crews that respond quickly 24 hours-a-day, seven days-a-week, and 365 days-a-year, especially on holidays like today when they are at work, serving the community away from their families.’’ protecting property and family Clark-Cowlitz Fire Rescue encourages home owners and building owners to consider protecting their property and family members with fire sprinklers. Fire sprinklers offer the most effective way to protect structures and people from building fires. One can visit Clark Cowlitz Fire Rescue’s website for more information on the event and about fire sprinkler installation.