Industry News

Major disaster declared for New Mexico counties

FEMA and DHSEM helps New Mexico counties to gain funds for damage repairs
Severe summer storm that damaged
five New Mexico counties

FEMA and DHSEM helps to make five New Mexico counties that faced severe damages from summer storms and flooding eligible for federal funding for repairs. 

Damages from severe storms and flooding left their mark on five New Mexico counties hit earlier this summer, making them eligible to receive federal funding for repairs, according to officials with the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and the New Mexico Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management (DHSEM). 

The storms and flooding from July 25 - Aug. 9 left damages to bridges, highways, public buildings, parks, hospitals and water treatment plants - not to mention a trail of debris and disrupted communications and emergency services.

Under the disaster declaration, signed by President Obama on Sept 13, Public Assistance (PA) is available to state agencies, local governments in Cibola, McKinley, Mora, San Juan and Socorro counties, the Navajo Nation and the Pueblo of Acoma, and certain private nonprofit organizations. Hazard Mitigation is available statewide.

"By assisting local, state and tribal governments and looking for ways to reduce future damages, state and federal disaster assistance has an impact on every individual in these communities," said FEMA Federal Coordinating Officer Sandy Coachman.

DHSEM, which administers the PA program, will schedule briefings with local officials in these counties and affected tribal governments, to provide information on the assistance available and how to apply.

"The state is working closely with our federal partners to assist all applicants through the process in an effort to provide needed recovery funding," said John W. Wheeler, Cabinet Secretary for DHSEM. 

FEMA reimburses 75 percent of eligible costs. The remaining 25 percent is split between the state and local government. 

Download PDF Version

Other news
Related links
Related news
View all news from

Browse News by

Product CategoryMonthCompany

Special Feature


Expert Commentary, Copyright © Notting Hill Media Limited 2000 - 2016, all rights reserved.
Use of this Website is subject to the Terms and Conditions and the Privacy and Cookie Policy.
Our Other site:, detailed security industry news and analysis US Edition
SourceEN54.EU, guide to voice alarm, public address & fire detection systems.