Semtech Corporation, a supplier of analogue and mixed-signal semiconductors and advanced algorithms, announced a new Neo-Iso Solid State Relay (SSR) targeted at Internet of Things such as connected and automated building systems and devices including fire alarms, siren drivers, smoke detectors, laser barriers, sensors for automatic doors, and safety and intercom systems.
This Neo-Iso SSR is an alternative to mechanical relays and opto-MOS. It offers up to 10 times lower control current and RDSon, protection from overcurrent including a feedback status pin, a 90% smaller package, and higher robustness because there is no moving part. The on/off commands are sent with a simple transient?immune differential clock signal from any microcontroller. The device also includes integrated 240 mΩ bidirectional load switch allowing AC or polarity free applications up to 36V peak.
Powered by a simple clock interface
“Semtech’s new Neo-Iso solid state relay expands our platform with an enhanced feature set required for Internet of Things (IoT) such as automated building systems market,” said Francois Ricodeau, Sr. Product Line Manager for Semtech’s Wireless and Sensing Products Group. “Our new SSR is powered and controlled from a simple clock interface, thus reducing the design-in effort to a minimum for engineers. We believe Semtech’s Neo-Iso platform will become the standard for multiple systems.”
The new Neo-Iso SSR, TS13501, supports DC and AC systems and is priced at $0.62 in volumes of 10,000 units.
- Switch Characteristics
- Bi-directional blocking in OFF state
- Single 36V switch, 240 mΩ RDS(on)
- Up to 1A operating current
- Steady-state over-current protection, 1.5A nominal
- Inrush current tolerant for 40 ms, 3A nominal
- Supports polarity free DC and AC systems
- Switch to Controller scalable galvanic isolation
- Differential signalling interface for transient-immune differential serial protocol
- Device powered via galvanically-isolated interface CLK/NCLK; no power rail required
- Transient protection for SW1 and SW2:
- IEC 61000-4-2 (ESD) ±24kV (air), ±16kV (contact)
- IEC 61000-4-4 (EFT) 40A (5/50 ns) level 4
- IEC 61000-4-5 (Surge/Lightning) 80V with 2Ω internal impedance (1.2/50 μs)