Company News

Make the call for disaster assistance today

Published on 2 July 2010
The disaster after severe storm
Roads and pipes were destroyed by
landslides cause by severe storm.
Photo by Yuisa Rios/FEMA

People of four West Virginia counties who suffered losses in June Severe storm register today with FEMA for disaster assistance to overcome the trauma.

Homeowners, renters and business owners in the four West Virginia counties who suffered losses in the June severe storms, flooding, mudslides, and landslides can begin the process of applying for federal and state disaster assistance online or by phone.

“If you called your county emergency manager or the American Red Cross for help, you have not registered for federal and state disaster assistance,” said State Coordinating Officer Jimmy Gianato. “You have to register with FEMA.”

To apply online, visit the website of Disaster Assistance. By phone, the number is toll-free 800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 800-462-7585 for callers with speech or hearing impairments.

Whether you go online or talk with a teleregistration representative from the Federal Emergency Management Agency, have the following information ready:

  • Name and Social Security number
  • Address of the damaged property
  • Current address and telephone number
  • Insurance information
  • Total household annual income
  • Bank account information for direct deposit
  • Apply online or contact over the phone for the support that you need after facing the nature's calamity

    Description of your losses caused by the disaster

President Obama’s major disaster declaration for West Virginia made federal funding available to affected individuals in Logan, McDowell, Mingo, and Wyoming counties. Assistance for homeowners and renters can include grants for temporary housing and home repairs. Homeowners, renters, eligible nonprofit organizations and businesses of all sizes may also be eligible for U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) low-interest disaster loans to repair or replace real and personal property.

If you get an SBA loan application in the mail after you apply with FEMA, be sure to complete and return it to the SBA. Completing the loan application does not commit you to a loan; it is part of the federal financial disaster assistance process.

“We want to be sure West Virginians receive all the disaster assistance available to them,” said Federal Coordinating Officer Donald L. Keldsen. “We can’t help you until you call us.”

FEMA’s temporary housing assistance and grants for public transportation expenses, medical and dental expenses, and funeral and burial expenses do not require individuals to apply for an SBA loan. However, applicants who receive SBA loan applications must complete and submit them to SBA to be eligible for assistance that covers personal property, vehicle repair or replacement and moving and storage expenses.


Download PDF Version

Other news
Related links
Related news
View all news from

Browse News by

Product CategoryMonthCompany