Company News

Heating season safety tips announced by Equitable Gas Company

Published on 15 October 2010
Possibility of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning or fire are high in internal heating of homes
The area which is exposed to natural gas in home and other places should be vacated immediately for safety

Equitable Gas Company reminds that remaining fire safe should be the priority of people while dealing with fires at home.

With cooler autumn weather upon us, Equitable Gas customers are starting to use their home heating equipment for the first time this heating season.

Equitable Gas reminds its customers to remain safe by following a number of safety tips now and throughout the fall and winter heating season.

To help avoid problems, customers are urged to follow these basic tips:

If you smell natural gas outside or inside your home or business, immediately leave the area and from a safe location call Equitable Gas at 1-800-253-3928 or 911. Have your heating systems checked and serviced by a licensed professional. Keep all natural gas vents unobstructed and free of debris.

Equitable Gas Company reminds customers they should never attempt to cook or heat their homes through methods that may be unsafe due to the possibility of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning or fire. Customers should follow these CO and fire safety tips:

  • Customers should have a battery-operated CO detector and smoke detector in their home and the batteries should be checked and replaced each spring and fall.
  • Never use a gas range or oven for heating. Using a gas range or oven for heating can cause a build up of CO inside your home.
  • Never use a charcoal, propane or barbecue grill indoors.
  • Never use portable propane camp stoves, lanterns or heaters indoors.
  • Never use a generator inside your home, basement, or garage.

Download PDF Version

Other news
Related links

Browse News by

Product CategoryMonthCompany