Sprue Safety Products supports Gas Safety Week 2014
Home safety products specialist, Sprue Safety Products, will be using social media, competitions and online advice to raise awareness of gas safety and the dangers of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, as part of its support for this year’s Gas Safety Week (15th - 21st September).
Advice on Facebook and Twitter, together with a specially set-up FAQ page and factsheet on its FireAngel and BRK websites will provide essential information and important reminders to only use Gas Safe Registered engineers to ensure gas appliances work safely.
Sprue has also teamed up with boiler replacement specialist, GreenPowerUK, to provide its seven-year life CO-9X carbon monoxide alarm in a competition to win a brand new boiler.
This fourth annual Gas Safety Week will see the whole industry coming together to bring gas safety to the forefront of people’s minds. Dangerous gas work can kill, so it is vital that gas appliances are safety checked at least once a year. If left unchecked, poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. In the last year alone, 343 people were injured and 10 people died as a result of gas related incidents.
People can sign up to a free reminder service at www.StayGasSafe.co.uk, and use the interactive gas map to see how many unsafe gas appliances are lurking in an area.
Sprue works closely with the CO Angels – a group of women striving to make a difference in the world of carbon monoxide poisoning after each losing someone special to this silent killer. Melissa Matthews of the CO Angels, said: “Any CO-related death and poisoning incident is one too many and we support any initiative that makes more people aware of this deadly gas.
“Gas Safety Week does a tremendous job in raising awareness of gas safety and we’re delighted to be an active supporter with Sprue. Properly qualified plumbers and installers play a vital role in keeping people CO safe. By teaming up maintenance work with advice to ensure carbon monoxide alarms are installed in the right locations to alert occupants to the gas’ presence, they can ensure customers take the right action to stay safe.”
Russell Krämer, chief executive for Gas Safe Register, said: “Every year, far too many people suffer from preventable gas related accidents, such as gas leaks, explosions, fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s great therefore, that Sprue has pledged its support and is raising awareness of gas safety issues, helping to let the 23 million gas consumers in the UK know about the simple checks they can make to stay safe.”
Follow these simple checks to stay gas safe:
View all news from
Browse News by