Events News

Sprue Safety Products helps keep the nation safe by supporting Gas Safety Week

Published on 12 September 2013
Sprue’s social media campaign will spread the word via Twitter and Facebook, sharing top tips on how to keep your family safe

Gas Safety Week will see more organisations coming together to bring gas safety issues to the forefront of people’s minds

Home safety products specialist, Sprue Safety Products, is helping to keep the nation gas safe by sharing vital life-saving messages as part of its support of this year’s Gas Safety Week, organised by Gas Safe Register (16th – 22nd September).

This third annual Gas Safety Week will see more organisations than ever before coming together to bring gas safety issues to the forefront of people’s minds. Dangerous gas work can kill. Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. In the last year, 333 people were injured and four people died as a result of gas related incidents.

Sprue’s social media campaign throughout the week and beyond will spread the word via Twitter and Facebook, sharing top tips on how to keep your family safe, the danger signs to look out for and testing your knowledge of the potentially fatal symptoms which could indicate carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Reminders will be posted on the importance of having gas appliances checked and serviced regularly by registered gas safety engineers. Landlords, students and heating engineers will also be reminded of their responsibilities.

As part of this year’s awareness drive, Sprue is also running a Facebook competition during Gas Safety Week with a prize of £100 worth of Love2Shop gift vouchers up for grabs. These can be spent at over 20,000 high street stores and national attractions.

Nick Rutter, managing director of Sprue Safety Products, said: “Gas Safety Week does a tremendous job in focussing people’s minds on the safety of gas appliances. People need to understand the potentially devastating consequences of neglecting it; too many are putting themselves at risk by failing to have their gas appliances professionally serviced regularly.

“Prolonged periods of cold temperatures coupled with increasing energy bills are also putting occupants at risk as many look to cheaper alternatives to heat their homes. Blocking flues, vents and chimneys have become common tactics used to keep heat in, but in doing so, occupants could unknowingly be trapping any carbon monoxide from faulty appliances inside their home.”

Russell Kramer, chief executive for Gas Safe Register, said: “Every year, far too many people suffer from preventable gas related accidents, such as gas leaks, explosions, fires and carbon monoxide poisoning. It’s great therefore, that Sprue Safety Products has pledged its support and is raising awareness of gas safety issues, helping to let the 21 million gas consumers in the UK know about the simple checks they can make to stay safe.”

We’re supporting Gas Safety Week taking place 16th – 22nd September 2013.

Download PDF Version

Other news
Related links
Related news
View all news from

Browse News by

Product CategoryMonthCompany

Special Feature


Expert Commentary, Copyright © Notting Hill Media Limited 2000 - 2016, all rights reserved.
Use of this Website is subject to the Terms and Conditions and the Privacy and Cookie Policy.
Our Other site:, detailed security industry news and analysis US Edition
SourceEN54.EU, guide to voice alarm, public address & fire detection systems.