|National Volunteer Fire Council board
fall meeting at Bloomington, MN
NVFC Board meeting focused on issues relating to legislation, health, and safety and membership among others.
The National Volunteer Fire Council (NVFC) board of directors met in Bloomington, MN, on September 22-25. The board focused on issues relating to legislation, health and safety, and membership, among others. In addition, the EMS/Rescue Section held its inaugural meeting.
Representatives from 43 state fire service associations attended the meeting. Fourteen committees met on issues ranging from health and safety to volunteer advocacy to disaster relief. The board also voted to support new legislation, change membership rates, and take the Seat Belt Pledge.
Meeting highlights include:
- The new EMS/R Section, which was formed by the board at the spring meeting, held its inaugural meeting. Learn more.
- The board voted to make some changes to membership rates, including a slight increase for All Staff Department, All State, and Junior members, new discounts available for early renewals, and a two-year renewal option. Learn more.
- The board updated its list of legislative priorities and voted to support several pieces of legislation that would benefit the volunteer fire service. Learn more.
- The board voted to appoint an NVFC representative to the NFPA HazMat Technical Committee on EMS.
The board signed the National Fire and EMS Seat Belt Pledge. Proper use of seat belts is a top safety priority for the NVFC, and is part of the NVFC’s B.E.S.T. Practices for health and safety.
The board also voted to support new legislation, change membership rates, and take the Seat Belt Pledge
- Actor, writer, and producer Randy Mantooth, known for his role as firefighter/paramedic John Gage on the TV series Emergency!, spoke to the board about carbon monoxide poisoning and health and safety issues. Mantooth is working with Masimo, a global medical technology company, to shed light on the issue of carbon monoxide poisoning in the fire service and develop a video promoting a healthy lifestyle among firefighters.
- Guest speakers included Gene Winstead, Mayor of Bloomington, Michael Campion, Public Safety Commissioner for the State of MN, and MN State Representative Steve Smith.
- The NVFC approved Ed Stauffer as the NVFC Chaplain, a position created at the spring meeting.
The NVFC board meets twice a year to discuss topics of importance to the volunteer fire service, vote on key issues, hold committee meetings, and determine the direction of the organization. The board is made up of a Director from 49 state fire service associations. Many states also appoint an Alternate Director. The next board meeting will be held in Alexandria, VA, in April.