KFRS urge households to fit working smoke alarms
Firefighters warn householders of the importance of fitting working smoke alarms.
The warning comes after crews were called to an incident in Margate.
Two crews from Margate and Thanet were sent to the first floor flat on Rancorn Road, Margate at 5.30pm on Thursday, 4 February after a chip pan caught alight when the resident left his cooking unattended.
Once at the scene, firefighters in breathing apparatus quickly extinguished the fire and ventilated the property. They also took the opportunity to fit working smoke alarms to two neighbouring flats.
Margate Watch Manager Steve Flint said: "The resident had started cooking his evening meal and left the chip pan unattended. When he returned to his kitchen, he found his chip pan had caught alight, with the fire spreading to the kitchen, which was smoked logged.
He added: "Fortunately, the individual wasn't hurt but the outcome could have been much worse. The messages are clear: Have a working smoke alarm fitted - they provide early warning to a fire in your home and can buy you enough time to escape safely. It's easy to lose concentration while cooking. It takes a very short space of time for a pan to overheat, so never leave cooking unattended. If there is a fire, get out, stay out and call the Fire and Rescue service."
View all news from
Browse News by