KFRS crew tackle Ramsgate home accidental fire
Fire control room operators sent two engines from Ramsgate and Thanet fire station at 10am following reports of a roof alight in Colombo Square. The fire is thought to have been started accidentally.
At the scene, firefighters were confronted with a well developed fire in the roof of semi-detached house and immediately sought support. Shortly afterwards, a further two fire engines, an aerial appliance and a command support unit arrived at the incident.
Officer in charge of the incident, Station Manager Paul Newman said: "The fire developed rapidly, spreading from the roof to the first floor. Fortunately, the residents - one adult and three children - managed to escape unharmed before we arrived.
"While crews positioned the aerial appliance and began tackling the fire from above the property's roof, firefighters in breathing apparatus entered the ground floor and attempted to salvage as many of its contents as possible.
"Thanks to some aggressive fire-fighting, crews prevented the fire from spreading to adjoining properties, but unfortunately the home in which it began was left badly damaged, resulting in roof collapse and serious destruction to the first floor."
Firefighters will be visiting the local area to offer fire safety advice and free home safety visits, during which, if necessary, smoke alarms will be fitted free of charge. To take advantage of this service call Kent Fire and Rescue Service for free on 0800 923 7000.
Alternatively, for more advice on how to keep you and your family safe from fire, including how to regularly test and maintain your smoke alarms, log onto www.kent.fire-uk.org.
View all news from
Browse News by