Industry News

KFRS crew rescues Herne Bay resident after cooking fire incident

KFRS crews have advised residents not to drink and cook after a fire accident
Firefighters are warning Kent residents to cook with safety in mind

Firefighters are warning Kent householders to cook with safety in mind.

The alert follows a fire in Herne Bay in the early hours of yesterday morning (22 November). Crews are specifically advising residents not to drink and cook after a man had to be pulled to safety from his smoke-filled flat by firefighters.

The warning comes after the man, in his forties, who had been drinking, fell asleep while cooking some food and failed to hear his smoke alarm sounding in his flat in Central Parade, Herne Bay in the early hours of Sunday morning.

His neighbours, who were woken by the sound of alarm, discovered smoke pouring from the flat's letterbox, but could not wake the man so alerted Kent Fire and Rescue Service (KFRS).

Once at the scene, firefighters in breathing apparatus forced their way into the heavily smoke-logged building and quickly rescued the man, extinguishing the fire shortly afterwards.

Herne Bay Crew Manager Paul Austin said: "We treated the man, who was heavily intoxicated, for the effects of smoke inhalation at the scene. This man was really lucky because without the actions of his neighbours who were alerted to the fire by the smoke alarm sounding, the consequences could have been far worse."

It takes a very short space of time for a pan to overheat, or for a grill pan to set light to something that has been left on top of a cooker

Paul concluded: "As this incident proves, it's easy to lose concentration while cooking, especially if it's late at night and you have been drinking. It takes a very short space of time for a pan to overheat, or for a grill pan to set light to something that has been left on top of a cooker. Sadly, we often see people getting hurt as a result of these types of incidents which are all preventable. But by following our safety tips you can keep you and your family safe from fires in the kitchen. "

  • Don't leave pans unattended. Take them off the heat if you leave the room. Remember, fire starts when your attention stops
  • Turn saucepan handles so that they don't stick out from the hob
  • Never fill a pan more than one third full of fat or oil. If the oil starts to smoke, do not begin cooking - remove from the heat and leave it to cool
  • Keep the oven, hob and grill clean - a build up of fat and grease can easily catch fire
  • If you are going out for a night out and may be drinking, try and pre-plan for your return home and take a snack from the fridge or cupboard instead of turning on the cooker for a hot meal
  • Fit smoke alarms on every floor of your home, and test them regularly
  • If there is a fire, get out, stay out and call the Fire and Rescue service

Firefighters are visiting the local area to offer fire safety advice and free home safety visits, during which, if necessary, smoke alarms will be fitted free of charge. To take advantage of this service call Kent Fire and Rescue Service for free on 0800 923 7000.

Download PDF Version

Other news
Related links
Related news
View all news from

Browse News by

Product CategoryMonthCompany

Special Feature


Expert Commentary, Copyright © Notting Hill Media Limited 2000 - 2016, all rights reserved.
Use of this Website is subject to the Terms and Conditions and the Privacy and Cookie Policy.
Our Other site:, detailed security industry news and analysis US Edition
SourceEN54.EU, guide to voice alarm, public address & fire detection systems.