Industry News

Fire and Carbon monoxide poisoning hazards associated with improper heating equipment

Heating is one of the leading causes of residential fires
Over one-quarter of residential fires result from improper maintenance of equipment

Heating is one of the leading causes of residential fires.

The high cost of home heating fuels and utilities has caused many Americans to search for alternative home heating sources such as wood burning stoves, space heaters, and fireplaces. Over one-quarter of these fires result from improper maintenance of equipment, specifically the failure to clean the equipment.

Carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning is another danger when using heating equipment fueled by fossil fuel. It occurs most often when equipment is not vented properly. CO deaths have been on the rise since 1999. On average there were 181 unintentional non-fire deaths from CO poisoning associated with consumer products per year from 2004-2006 compared to 123 from 1999-2001 (Source: Consumer Product Safety Commission).

Download PDF Version

Other news
Related links
Related news
View all news from

Browse News by

Product CategoryMonthCompany

Special Feature


Expert Commentary, Copyright © Notting Hill Media Limited 2000 - 2016, all rights reserved.
Use of this Website is subject to the Terms and Conditions and the Privacy and Cookie Policy.
Our Other site:, detailed security industry news and analysis US Edition
SourceEN54.EU, guide to voice alarm, public address & fire detection systems.